On Saturday morning, the DIAA held the 2013 Indoor Track State Championships at the University of Delaware Field House in Newark, Del.
The Caesar Rodney Riders were winners of the boys State Championship, while Padua took home the crown on the girls side.
The Sussex Tech Ravens were one of only a few schools in Saturday’s tournament representing the downstate area. And while they weren’t able to bring home a championship, they did have some standout performances.
Junior Briana Hall left her mark on the State Championships Saturday with top finishes in each of the four events she competed.
Hall finished first in the girls Triple Jump, third in the 55m Hurdles, fourth in the Long Jump and sixth in the High Jump for Tech.
Also contributing, Roxanne Ramirez, Chelsea LeCates, Bethany Killmon, and Natasha Taylor finished fourth in the girls 4x400m Relay helping the Lady Ravens to a respectable seventh place finish.
While the boys never got off the ground, they did get some hard-fought performances from John Crimmins, Victor Rueda, Jake Bamforth, Robby Westhoff and Anthony Townley.
Bamforth, Rueda, Westhoff and Townley finished seventh in the Boys 4x800m Relay, Rueda also placed fourteenth in the 3200m while Crimmins placed thirteenth in the boys Shot Put.
Even though Sussex Tech didn’t find themselves among the elite during Saturday’s State Championships, it’s clear they’ve committed to the sport. More importantly, they’re doing their best to build up their program. So, over the next few seasons, if growth continues, we should see the Tech program improve yearly. And who knows, perhaps competing for a state title is in their future.
Below are some other local notables:
1. Caesar Rodney – 84 points
2. Dover – 59 points
3. Salesianum – 57 points
4. A.I. duPont – 53 points
5. Tatnall – 39 points
6. Howard – 38 points
7. Caravel – 32 points
8. Milford – 31 points
9. William Penn – 24 points
10. Cape Henlopen – 23 points
22. Sussex Tech – 2 points
1. Padua – 106 points
2. Tatnall – 83 points
3. Smyrna – 59.50 points
4. Delcastle – 57 points
5. Caesar Rodney – 46 points
6. Charter – 31 points
Page 2 of 2 - 7. Sussex Tech – 29 points
8. Milford – 27 points
9. Cape Henlopen – 27 points
10. Middletown – 24 points
Local Top Finishers
11. Chelsea LeCates (Sussex Tech) 2:35.78
10. Roxanne Ramirez (Sussex Tech) 5:34.56
14. Bethany Killmon (Sussex Tech) 5:42.97
14. Victor Rueda (Sussex Tech) 10:29.29
3. Briana Hall (Sussex Tech) 08.74
7. Bamforth, Rueda, Westhoff, Townley (Sussex Tech) 8:48.21
4. Ramirez, LeCates, Killmon, Taylor (Sussex Tech) 10:18.76
13. John Crimmins (Sussex Tech) 38-09.25
6. Briana Hall (Sussex Tech) 4-10.00
4. Briana Hall (Sussex Tech) 16-04.75
1. Briana Hall (Sussex Tech) 34-01.25