In the Division I state soccer tournament, Cape Henlopen tops St. Georges Tech 4-2 in penalty kicks after a 3-3 overtime game, while Sussex Central falls to Appoquinimink 4-0.

Tied at 3-3 after overtime, No. 5 Cape Henlopen topped No. 4 St. Georges Tech 4-2 in penalty kicks Saturday to advance to the Division I DIAA Boys Soccer State Tournament semifinals.

The Vikings led 1-0 after one half off a Juan Larez-Carrillo goal, but the game’s second half saw both teams light up the scoreboard.

Matt Mitchell kicked off the scoring in the second half, tying things up at 1-1. Just ten minutes later Cape Henlopen retook the lead thanks to a Ulysis Slagle goal, making it 2-1.

St. Georges Tech rallied and took a brief lead late after goals by Jared Edge and Josh Moody helped the Hawks gain a 3-2 advantage. However, in the 79th minute Luke Mulcahy tied the game up at 3-3, forcing overtime.

After a scoreless OT, the Vikings won on PKs backed by two huge stops by Jake Gelof, sending Cape to the semifinals.

The Vikings advance to the semifinals Wednesday night where they’ll take on No. 1 seed and defending state champion Salesianum in the second game of a semifinal doubleheader at Smyrna.

No. 2 Appoquinimink will take on No. 3 Caesar Rodney in the first game at 6 p.m. with Cape Henlopen/Salesianum to follow at 8 p.m.

Winners will advance to the state championship game on Saturday, Nov. 18, also at Smyrna High School.

Golden Knights fall to No. 2 Appo 4-0

The No. 7 Sussex Central Golden Knights played No. 2 Appoquinimink tough early on but the Jags eventually pulled away, winning 4-0 in the opening round of the DIAA Division I Boys Soccer State Tournament Saturday night.

Central trailed by just a goal at halftime, but Appo found the back of the net three more times in the second half helping to punch their ticket to the state semifinals.

The Golden Knights finished the regular season 10-5, going 8-4 against the Henlopen Conference, earning the No. 7 overall seed in the state tournament.