Delaware State Police identified Burgon Sealey Jr., 26, suspected of fatally shooting State Trooper Cpl./1 Ballard Wednesday at the Wawa near Bear.

UPDATE at 3 p.m.

The Delaware State Homicide Unit Detectives continue to investigate the shooting death of Cpl/1 Stephen Ballard which occurred at a Bear area Wawa yesterday afternoon.

According to police, Cpl. Stephen Ballard conducted a stop on a suspicious vehicle in the parking lot of the Wawa located at 1605 Pulaski Hwy, Bear, just after noon. Cpl. Ballard, was in uniform and in a fully marked police vehicle, when he contacted the male driver of a red Dodge Charger.

The Dodge Charger was also occupied by a second male subject in the front passenger seat. According to Col. Nathaniel McQueen, the second suspect was taken into custody, but has since been released.

Cpl. Ballard made contact with the driver and the passenger who both provided identification. Cpl. Ballard then walked to the passenger side of the vehicle to address the occupant. The passenger, who was later identified as Burgon Sealy Jr, 26, of Middletown, advised that he had arrived at the Wawa in a gray Honda Accord which was also parked in the lot.  

Cpl. Ballard then asked him to step out of the Dodge Charger.  As he exited the vehicle, a struggle ensued during which time the suspect began firing at Cpl. Ballard with a handgun he had produced from his waistband. 

Cpl. Ballard attempted to run for cover behind a parked vehicle, however, Sealy pursued him. The suspect fired the handgun, striking him in the upper body. Cpl. Ballard immediately went to the ground. 

The suspect then fired multiple rounds at close range, again striking him in the upper body.  The suspect then ran to the gray Honda and fled from the parking lot.  The driver of the Dodge remained in the Wawa parking lot, and was taken into custody by responding troopers. The investigation has determined that he is not a suspect in this incident.

Through investigative leads, it was learned that the suspect had made contact with family members and advised them that he had shot a trooper at the Wawa. The family immediately relayed that information to police. With that information investigators learned that the suspect was now in a residence in Brick Mill Farms, Middletown.

As the Delaware State Police Special Operations Response Team arrived at the residence and proceeded to establish a perimeter, the suspect began firing multiple rounds at the officers from inside of the residence. Special Operations Response Teams and Conflict Management Teams from allied police agencies then responded to the scene and attempted to make contact with the male suspect, in an attempt to persuade him to surrender. It had been learned that he was the sole occupant of the home.

When the suspect ceased contact with negotiators, at approximately 8:22 p.m., the Delaware State Police Explosives Ordinance Disposal Unit (EOD) utilized an explosive breeching charge on the front door. 

Still no contact was made with the suspect.  Attempts to contact him to work toward a peaceful surrender continued throughout the overnight hours.

At approximately 4 AM this morning, Thursday, April 27, officers reported hearing numerous gunshots originating from inside of the home. However, once again no contact was made with the suspect.

At 9:17 AM, the armed suspect exited the residence and engaged police. He was then shot by law enforcement.  Lifesaving efforts were then initiated by Delaware State Police and EMS personnel, however Sealy succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at 9:29 AM.  His body was turned over to the Division of Forensic Science where an autopsy will be performed.

Most of the residents of the neighborhood who had been evacuated were permitted to return home.

UPDATE at 2 p.m.

Delaware State Police have identified the deceased man who is suspected of fatally shooting State Trooper Cpl./1 Ballard Wednesday at the Wawa near Bear.

At a press conference this afternoon at Ballard's home troop in Glasgow, police announced that Burgon Sealey Jr., 26, of Middletown is the suspect in the shooting.

Sealey was killed by police as he exited his home carrying weapons this morning after an overnight standoff in Brick Mill Farms in Middletown.

State Police Col. Nathaniel McQueen Jr. said Sealey "engaged police" as he exited.

UPDATE at 10:30 a.m

At 9:17 a.m., the male suspect exited the residence and engaged police. The suspect was then shot by law enforcement. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 9:29 a.m.

A news conference will be held at Delaware State Police Troop 2, Glasgow at 1:30 p.m.this afternoon where more details of this investigation will be discussed.

UPDATE at 5:38 a.m.

Delaware State Police Master Cpl. Gary Fournier is reporting shots have been fired at the barricade scene on Brick Mill Drive.

Police surrounding the home were fired upon several times at around 4 a.m., Fournier said. There were no injuries reported.

Police have used explosives to blow out several windows in the home; this follows use of another explosive at around 8:22 p.m. on the home’s front door.

Officers still have not gone inside the home but continue to try to persuade the suspect to surrender, Fournier said.

UPDATE at 5:35 a.m.

State police are continuing to monitor the situation where a shooting suspect has barricaded himself inside a Middletown home. The last update, issued at 4:15 a.m., indicated there had been no attempt to move into the house after police used an explosive device to breech the front door. Police appear to be waiting out the man, who has been in the house for more than 14 hours.

UPDATE at 10:25 p.m.

Delaware State Police have identified the trooper shot Wednesday afternoon as Cpl./1 Stephen J. Ballard. The 32-year-old Ballard was assigned to Troop 2, Glasgow, and had been on the force for 8.5 years.

Police at the scene of a Middletown home continue to wait out the suspect in Ballard's death.

The Odessa Fire Company has opened its facility to temporarily house the evacuated residents of Brick Mill Farms Development while allied police agencies continue to negotiate with an armed man who has barricaded himself in a home in that development.

Gov. John Carney has ordered both the U.S. and state flags to be flown at half-staff in Ballard’s memory.

Carney issued the following statement upon learning of Ballard’s death:

“One of our sworn troopers has lost his life performing a duty on behalf of the people of Delaware.

“My heart is with Cpl. Ballard’s family and the officers who have served beside him. Delaware's law enforcement officers go to work every day knowing they put their lives on the line to protect ours. We are incredibly indebted to their bravery and service.”

Flags are to remain at half-staff until further notice.

UPDATE at 8:35 p.m.

State police are reporting their Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit used a breeching charge on the front door of the home in which a shooting suspect has barricaded himself since early afternoon. As of 8:35 p.m. police have not entered the home. The suspect remains inside and is armed with an unknown type firearm.

UPDATE at 4:55 p.m.

The Delaware state trooper shot earlier today near Glasgow has died.

State Police Superintendent Col. Nathaniel McQueen Jr. announced the trooper's death at a press conference at Christiana Hospital.

“It is with great sadness and a heavy heart, that we announce the death of a Delaware state trooper,” said McQueen. “The name of the trooper is being withheld at this time, pending notification from next of kin.”

McQueen detailed the events leading up to the officer’s death, stating that the trooper observed a suspicious looking vehicle at a little after noon in the parking lot of the Wawa convenience store near Glasgow.

“The trooper made contact with the occupant, and shortly thereafter, a struggle ensued,” McQueen said. "It was at this time that one of the two suspects exited the vehicle and proceeded to to fire several rounds, striking the trooper."

McQueen said other troopers quickly arrived and took one suspect into custody. However, the second suspect had fled the scene prior to the troopers' arrival.

"This is a sad day for our state, and for the Delaware State Police family," said McQueen. "We ask that you keep the trooper's family, and the members of the Delaware State Police family, in your thoughts and prayers."

Sgt. Richard Bratz took over at the conclusion of McQueen's speech, to inform the press that a dignified escort would take the trooper to the Division of Forensic Science in Wilmington.

UPDATE at 4:30 p.m.

The male suspect in the shooting of a Delaware state trooper earlier today is barricaded inside his residence in Middletown.

Delaware State Police remain on the scene on St. Michaels Drive in the Brick Mill Farms development in Middletown, said State Police Master Cpl. Gary Fournier said.

The suspect fired shots at police from the home.

Earlier today at about noon, a state trooper was shot in the parking lot of a Wawa on Pulaski Highway (Route 40) near Glasgow.

Multiple special operations response teams and conflict management teams from several police agencies are attempting to talk to the suspect and persuade him to surrender, Fournier said.


Multiple police agencies are on the scene of a shots-fired report in the 500 block of St. Michaels Drive in the Brick Mill Farm Development in Middletown.

A male suspect has refused orders to surrender and continues to fire rounds at police officers, said State Police Sgt. Richard Bratz.

This investigation is related to the incident in which a trooper was shot outside a Glasgow area convenience store earlier today, said Bratz.

Residents in the area are advised to stay inside their homes and lock their doors until notified otherwise.

Brick Mill Road is closed between Marl Pit Road and Middletown Odessa Road (Route 299). Commuters are advised to seek alternate routes of travel.